Edge Message #13 from Brian Sweeney, producer NZEDGE.COM
To NZEDGE.COM Community
Today’s New Zealand Hero is Alexander Aitken, one of the most remarkable mathematical brains of all time. It’s an extraordinary story, laced with the appalling reality of life in the trenches of the Great War.
In newzedge this week:
- Kiwi contingent make huge impact Australian Fashion Week.
- Auckland gets a rave in the on-line style bible Wallpaper.
- Rebecca Taylor is nominated for a prestigious fashion award in NYC.
- Kiwi scientist/achemist Chris Henderson discovers gold in cabbages.
- Jonah Lomu stars in Adidas’s new global campaign.
- Major David Lingard makes a daring escape from murderous rebels.
- Nabakov Scholar Brian Boyd makes the cover of art magazine Bomb.
- Playwright Anthony McCarten is a hit in Hong Kong.
- Speedster Aaron Slight makes a remarkable recovery from brain surgery.
- Dennis Dutton’s “Arts and Letters” named in ‘best of the web’ by Brill’s.
- Fleur Adcock impresses by telling it straight up in her collected poetry.
- Auckland University genetic scientists help save the whales.
- Kevin Roberts takes the edge to San Francisco.
- And unless you’ve just joined the monastery or happen to live Antarctica (not that the edge doesn’t have sympathies with these places) you can’t have escaped the buzz surrounding Russell Crowe’s performance in the Gladiator (we’ve archived the America’s Cup success stories and created a collection of articles about a true edge hero).
To Russell Coutts and Brad Butterworth, who have gone now from Team NZ: thank you for the memories, they’ve been precious moments.
Thumbnail: Neil Dawson’s sculpture Ferns floats like a second moon, suspended over Athfield’s stylised Nikaus in Wellington’s Civic Square.