Pavlova & Rivesaltes by Air France
Air France’s June inflight magazine travels “to the end of the earth with this delicious New Zealand dessert: A meringue that’s crisp on the outside and soft in the middle, topped with divine crème Chantilly and sprinkles with berries. A treat to go with Rivesaltes.”
For six people:
4 large eggs
8 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
3 level teaspoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
Chantilly (whipped cream)
20cl chilled heavy cream
1 heaped tablespoon on mascarpone
1 carton of raspberries
1 carton of blueberries
1 carton of redcurrants
Begin by preparing the meringue:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Separate the eggs. Discard the yolks and place the whites in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and whip with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
3. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to whisk for two minutes until the whites are firm and glossy.
4. Using a spatula, carefully blend in the cornstarch, vanilla extract and white vinegar.
5. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray and form six disks of meringue (using a baking ring, pastry cutter or a small can opens at both ends).
6. Bake the meringues for five minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 130°C and bake for another hour. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside to cool for another hour, without opening the oven door.
When the meringues are ready it’s time to decorate them:
1. Make the whipped cream: put the chilled heavy cream and mascarpone into a large bowl. Using a hand whisk, whisk the mixture until peaks form: the whipped cream is ready.
2. Using a piping bag cover the meringue disks with the cream, then arrange the berries over the top. Enjoy!
Article Source: Air France Magazine