Badass Woman Nancy Wake
Nancy Wake was included in Buzzfeed’s list of “14 Badass Historical Women To Name Your Daughters After”.
If you would like your baby to be exceedingly glamorous you should name her Nancy after Nancy Wake – a New Zealand spy, journalist and hero of the French Resistance during World War II, according to the article.
Nancy Wake was a New Zealander, who ended up settling in Paris where she worked as a journalist. Between 1940 and 1943, during World War II, she saved the lives of many soldiers when helped them to flee out of France through to Spain.
Later on the Kiwi joined the British Special Operations Executive as a spy.
Read more about Nancy Wake on NZEDGE Legends.
For the Top Ten Women in Buzzfeed’s list see below:
- Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz: a 17th-century poet
- The Mirabal Sisters: Dominican sisters who opposed Rafael Trujillo’s 1950s dictatorship
- Raden Ajeng Kartini: a famous writer and Indonesia’s “first feminist”
- Hildegard von Bingen: a composer, writer, poet and mystic
- Ida B. Wells-Barnett: an American journalist, suffragist, and anti-lynching campaigner
- Artemisia Gentileschi: a famous Baroque era painter
- Nancy Wake: NZ spy, journalist and hero of the French Resistance during World War II
- Tomoe Gozen: a legendary samurai warrior in 12th-century Japan
- Yaa Asantewaa: a leading figure in a war against British colonialists from 1900-1901 in what is today Ghana
- Madam CJ Walker: a businesswoman and great philanthropist
Article Source: Buzzfeed, Hannah Jewell, January 14, 2016
Image Source: Wikipedia