“Like Melbournians, Wellingtonians take their food and drink culture extremely seriously. The city is said to have more restaurants, bars and cafes per capita than New York”, writes Jason Lim in an article for Forbes.
Here are some of his top picks for your Wellington getaway:
- Visit in August for foodie festival Wellington On a Plate to see how restaurateurs compete to create special menus that showcase regional produce.
- For the most memorable salmon dish you will ever have visit Egmont Street Bakery; for fresh oysters head to WBC, recommends Lim. He also had a divine woodfired pork belly at Charley Noble.
- Wellington is “the capital of craft beer”. Head to Garage Project to taste the latest concoctions of flavors or to craft brew institution Tuatara.
- Try Six Barrel Soda’s handmade all-natural sodas with playful flavours like celery tonic, kola nut and hibiscus.
- Another must-see is New Zealand’s national museum, Te Papa and The Weta Workshop that creates models for movies like The Hobbit.
- “Almost like stepping into Jurassic Park,Zealandia is an amazing eco-attraction” where you can see Tuatara reptiles that are from the dinosaur era and Peripatus worms and if you are lucky even Kiwi birds.
Article Source: Forbes, Jason Lim, November 29, 2015
Image Source: Wikipedia