NZEDGE.COM EDITORIAL (new): 8 Reasons Why I Voted for the New New Zealand Flag
In 2004 I wrote ‘Eight Reasons to Change the Flag’ for Lloyd Morrison’s new flag campaign. Here’s my 2016 update:
– The old flag is a relic, like this once mighty VE Valiant, pictured on Saturday
– There are only a dozen old flags flying in NZ at any one moment ie we don’t fly it much
–When the opportunity comes to make a once-in-50 year change, take it
– The new flag is more than ok and I am sure we will all come to love it
– It’s not the Maple Leaf but then Canada is even more self-effacing than NZ
– There are about 10 great flags in the world, and the new flag will make a top 20
– The new flag will get meaning through performance. When a victorious Olympian wears the new flag, we’ll say “aok”
– The Sydney Opera House came from a design competition. Everyone had the opportunity to win here.
Article Source: Brian Sweeney, Producer NZEDGE.COM
Love it awesome change I'm a kiwi living in Canada
Okay so I was against changing the flag....but having read your editorial, I have plenty of food for thought.
Whatever the outcome, the referendum worked well. Perhaps the government should now trust us, the members of the jury, with a few of the more important issues of running our country.
Haha, only a dozen??