New Zealand – Bucket List Destination: 6 Ways to Travel on a Budget
“The sweeping mountain vistas, stunning beaches, vibrant cities and hospitable locals make New Zealand a bucket list travel destination for many”, writes Claire Volkman for the Huffington Post.
Getting to New Zealand and staying there for an extended period of time can be costly. But “that doesn’t mean there aren’t ways to enjoy the beauty of this remote wonderland for relatively cheap.”
The Huffington Post has collected six ways to travel around New Zealand when you are on a budget.
- Travel during the off-season – Some of the most beautiful times to visit New Zealand are non-peak seasons spring and fall “when the flowers are in full bloom or the trees turn vibrant hues of yellow, red or orange”.
- Buy city passes – Discount passes in Auckland or Wellington will get you into many of the city’s top attractions for a fraction of the cost of paying individual admission. Queenstown offers ski packages that grant access to multiple slopes for the cost of one in winter.
- Rent a car or campervan – The best way to see the “lush forests, jagged mountain ranges and sparkling glacial lakes” outside of the cities is to rent a car or campervan and explore the beautiful landscape without a guide. In off-peak seasons renting a car is very affordable.
- Plan to camp – One of the most affordable lodging options is to sleep outside underneath the stars at one of the Department of Conservation’s 250 campsites, which come equipped with basic toilets, water, and barbecues or fire pits or one of the many Holiday Parks.
- Balance expensive activities with free ones – “What makes New Zealand so popular is the abundance of adrenaline-packed adventures available around almost every corner”, which quite often are expensive. Experiencing the outdoors of New Zealand often is free. Balance expensive adventures with ones for free to stay in your budget.
- Rent a home from a local – Many Kiwis offer their homes to travellers at a fraction of the cost of neighbouring hotels. Airbnb or Bookabach are websites, which let visitors rent vacation homes all around New Zealand in a variety of price ranges. To get fully immersed into Kiwi culture, ask locals for tips on cheap grocery stores and the best places to score a local meal on a budget.
Article Source: Huffington Post, Claire Volkman, June 23, 2015
Image Source: Wikipedia.org